The Dodo by Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953)
- The Dodo used to walk around,
- And take the sun and air.
- The sun yet warms his native ground —
- The Dodo is not there!
- The voice which used to squawk and squeak
- Is now forever dumb —
- Yet may you see his bones and beak
- All in the Mu-se-um.
“We have to recognise that our impact is game-changing on this planet, that we are all responsible, and that we have to become stewards of nature – as a part of it, rather than behaving like children rampaging through a sweet shop,” Mark Williams, University of Leicester.